Ozzie Johnson was a native of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
in Western North Carolina. Ozzie was also a member of "Dude Martin's
Roundup Gang" for quite a few years, too.
But in 1948, Ozzie formed his own group, the Flying J Ranch Boys.
Ozzie and the boys were doing broadcasts in the San Francisco bay area
and also playing clubs and theatres in southern California.
In 1949, Ozzie and the boys played at the famous "Coronado Inn" in
Vallejo, California six nights a week as well as doing a show over
KVON in Vallejo / Napa.
The group recorded for the Coast and Tribon labels. One of their members,
John Texair also wrote a song that achieved some popularity, "Arkansas
Timeline and Trivia Notes
Group members included:
- Ozzie Johnson, lead, vocalist
- Adriene Nelson, featured vocalist
- Huck Field, fiddle, guitar
- John Texair, comedian, songwriter
Credits & Sources
- Cowboy Songs No. 39 (February 1955); American Folk Publications,
Inc.; Derby, CT.